Eutechnyx Forums - Powered by vBulletin
NTG Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Set-up tutorial

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SparksCS24 Steam ID: SparksCS
    Quote Originally Posted by barns View Post
    Well, all they said in the Game Informer about setups was wedge, track bar, tire psi and many more. Also Eutechnyx put almost a dozen pre-made setups in the game for those who don't want to play crew chief!
    Thats great to know!

I hope I can start off with a loose setup!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WillyTwoScoops
    I know I'm bring this back up after it's been dead for little while.

I do hope that people aren't so protective over their setups as in Nascar 09. I still struggle with setup there, can't seem to get speed without a draft (I only race Daytona or Tall. but would love to run a season or series).

I will try to get through the race central setup help, but hopefully either here or online more are helpful with giving info.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Thorsfew
    Yes, I too hope the community "shares" its findings with set ups. Of course a player will ensure he/she still has the edge, but the most skilled racing will come down to how gentle a player is with their controller. The lucky few with steering wheels will enjoy a good 1/2hr perfecting the response to give much smoother steering and drive line.

Fan
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AdR88oNeTiMe219
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    I know I'm bring this back up after it's been dead for little while.

I do hope that people aren't so protective over their setups as in Nascar 09. I still struggle with setup there, can't seem to get speed without a draft (I only race Daytona or Tall. but would love to run a season or series).

I will try to get through the race central setup help, but hopefully either here or online more are helpful with giving info.
    This could be fixed because of the people can make a fixed setup room so everyone has to use the same setup.
    NASCAR360.net is looking for more drivers for the 2011 season! If you are interested please visit www.nascar360.net.

NASCOR is also looking for more drivers for the 2011 season. If interested visit www.nascor360.org.

setups will still be super secret, that much I'm sure of, as winning is more important to most than great racing. It's unfortunate, but it's a fact. People like to win, and if they have a great setup that keeps them winning, most people won't share it. I see where they are coming from, as they worked hard for it, and to really take advantage of the great setup you just came up with, it has to be only yours, as it's not an advantage if everyone has it. That being said, it'd be awesome if more people shared but I'm sure the actual cup teams that can't compete with Hendrick and Gibbs are thinking the same thing. I'm not great with setups, but decent, and if anyone on here ever races with me and thinks my setup is better than thiers, don't hesitate to ask for it, I'll do what I can to help.
    looking forward to an exiting fun season on the PS3 at http://nsra.webs.com/

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GRASSMASTER 413 PSN ID: TOYOTA-RAClN-9l
    yeah I'm sure most of the community will share good solid setups. But, for those of us that have those killer ones that win almost the whole time. You won't see those

Fan
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CWT 3000

Setting Bump & Rebound

I am a long time NASCAR fan and have only been playing NASCAR 09 for a couple years

Maybe someone can shed some light on an effective way of setting the bump & rebound settings in car set-up. I'm sure this will be an option in NTG11 and I'd like to know what exactly i am doing. I've really never adjusted these in my personal set-ups without knowing what I am doing. Most guides I've seen don't refer to the rebound and bump settings. Anyways, I though I'd throw this out there to see if someone could help.

Should i be setting the rebound and bump before adjusting wedge, swaybars and camber?

Is there a good order to follow when creating a set-up? Usually I work on tire psi & camber last for better tire wear, but i feel like I am going about it wrong, because my lap times have always been 1-2 seconds slower than the top cars.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TenTonDog
    I'll be watching this thread with interest.

I'm not a massive tuner by any means, but I can set the camber, tire pressures, wedge, track bar, an such to decent effect .... but never really got my head round the bump and rebound.

Hopefully someone can explain it in laymans terms so I can understand it .... lol

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sdrawkcab45
    Here's how I usually setup my car...

1. tire pressure (for tire wear, not handling)
    2. wedge
    3. springs
    4. bump, rebound
    5. wedge
    6. grille tape
    7. camber
    8. tire pressure (for tire wear)
    8. camber
    9. gears
    10. springs
    11. bump, rebound
    12. sway bar
    13. tire pressure (for handling)
    14. weight distribution
    15. wedge
    16. caster
    17. Brake bias

Bump and rebound - the higher the number, the stiffer the shock. Soften the right rear if your car is loose, soften right front if it is tight. Works best if you adjust with a 1:3 ratio

Wedge - Increase wedge if your car is loose, decrease if it is tight. Note: tightening your car will wear your right front tire quicker, loosening up your car will wear out your right rear tire quicker.

Springs - Stiffen right rear spring if your car is loose, soften right front if your car is tight

Grille tape - More grill tape = better downforce, but also means there's a better chance of your engine overheating

Gears - Higher gear ration means quicker acceleration, lower top speed, worse fuel mileage. The opposite is true for lower gear ratio. Keep them low at short tracks and road courses.

Sway bar - Stiffen sway bar is your car is loose, loosen sway bar if car is tight

Tires - The higher the pressure, the higher the top speed. The lower the pressure, the quicker the acceleration. Higher pressures have less grip than lower pressures. Adding pressure to a tire is basically the same as stiffening a spring...lowering pressure is like softening a spring. At most tracks you will usually want your left-front to have lowest pressure, left-rear to be 2nd-lowest, right-rear to be 3rd-lowest, right-front to be highest.

Brake bias - The higher the amount in the front, the longer it will take your car to stop. The higher the amount in the rear, the faster your car stops but also greatly increases the chances that you spin out when braking.

Fan
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CWT 3000
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_45 View Post

2. wedge
    3. springs
    4. bump, rebound
    5. wedge
    6. grille tape
    7. camber
    8. camber
    9. gears
    10. springs
    11. bump, rebound
    12. sway bar
    14. weight distribution
    15. wedge
    16. caster
    17. Brake bias

Bump and rebound - the higher the number, the stiffer the shock. Soften the right rear if your car is loose, soften right front if it is tight. Works best if you adjust with a 1:3 ratio

Wedge - Increase wedge if your car is loose, decrease if it is tight. Note: tightening your car will wear your right front tire quicker, loosening up your car will wear out your right rear tire quicker.

Springs - Stiffen right rear spring if your car is loose, soften right front if your car is tight

Grille tape - More grill tape = better downforce, but also means there's a better chance of your engine overheating

Gears - Higher gear ration means quicker acceleration, lower top speed, worse fuel mileage. The opposite is true for lower gear ratio. Keep them low at short tracks and road courses.

Sway bar - Stiffen sway bar is your car is loose, loosen sway bar if car is tight

Tires - The higher the pressure, the higher the top speed. The lower the pressure, the quicker the acceleration. Higher pressures have less grip than lower pressures. Adding pressure to a tire is basically the same as stiffening a spring...lowering pressure is like softening a spring. At most tracks you will usually want your left-front to have lowest pressure, left-rear to be 2nd-lowest, right-rear to be 3rd-lowest, right-front to be highest.

Brake bias - The higher the amount in the front, the longer it will take your car to stop. The higher the amount in the rear, the faster your car stops but also greatly increases the chances that you spin out when braking.
    So should i start with the lowest rebound and bump setting and adjust each independently? My Daytona set-up has maximum bump & rebound for better speeds. I haven't changed that set-up in a year, but if I remeber right, if I lower those two settings my overall times begin to slow. My biggest concern is at the 1.5 milers where cornering speed is important. Is it safe to say bump and rebound is more for corner entry?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sdrawkcab45
    Quote Originally Posted by CWT 3000 View Post
    Is it safe to say bump and rebound is more for corner entry?
    Yes. Don't worry at all about using bump and rebound for acceleration or speed. Use gears and tire pressures for that.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kingsly9 PSN ID: Kingsly9
    If memory serves me correctly, Bump is used for entry to the corners and rebound is used for the exits, although I may be wrong.
    Although I don't agree with what you say, I defend to the death your right to say it.

Fan
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NEBOSLALPSU
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_45 View Post

2. wedge
    3. springs
    4. bump, rebound
    5. wedge
    6. grille tape
    7. camber
    8. camber
    9. gears
    10. springs
    11. bump, rebound
    12. sway bar
    14. weight distribution
    15. wedge
    16. caster
    17. Brake bias

I'll try these when I play 09 tomorrow. I'm TERRIBLE at making good setups.
    March 29th=GREATEST DAY EVER!!!!!!!!!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WillyTwoScoops
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    setups will still be super secret, that much I'm sure of, as winning is more important to most than great racing. It's unfortunate, but it's a fact. People like to win, and if they have a great setup that keeps them winning, most people won't share it. I see where they are coming from, as they worked hard for it, and to really take advantage of the great setup you just came up with, it has to be only yours, as it's not an advantage if everyone has it. That being said, it'd be awesome if more people shared but I'm sure the actual cup teams that can't compete with Hendrick and Gibbs are thinking the same thing. I'm not great with setups, but decent, and if anyone on here ever races with me and thinks my setup is better than thiers, don't hesitate to ask for it, I'll do what I can to help.
    I agree! I'd give anyone my setup to anyone. I've won a race, but I'm much more interested in great racing vs win.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Masta Nug 420 Steam ID: 6StringShredder
    I myself could use help with setups. Im no pro by any means. I would be willing to take the time to make a website for us and others to share different setups if enough people think this would be helpful.
    86 Camaro 383.. Eats rice and craps out fords

u wot m8?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: L33T Pilot PSN ID: L33TPilot Steam ID: 1337Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by cody0103 View Post
    I myself could use help with setups. Im no pro by any means. I would be willing to take the time to make a website for us and others to share different setups if enough people think this would be helpful.
    Now most of the people will obviously this sounds good, but when the time comes to 'share' setup, nobody will. Setups and especially good ones play huge role in winning races online :P

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BaRnS0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Now most of the people will obviously this sounds good, but when the time comes to 'share' setup, nobody will. Setups and especially good ones play huge role in winning races online :P
    Well, I'm one that will share regardless! lol

Maybe I'm 1 in a 1,000 that will. But I don't care about leader boards or if I win every race. I just like to race with good drivers. Besides, most my racing is done in the league. So I will be more than willing to give out my setups.

That's just my reason for sharing!

Gamer IDs

Well, I'm one that will share regardless! lol

Maybe I'm 1 in a 1,000 that will. But I don't care about leader boards or if I win every race. I just like to race with good drivers. Besides, most my racing is done in the league. So I will be more than willing to give out my setups.

That's just my reason for sharing!
    ok. i will start to work on a site for this. Im hoping that the people who come to the site will share good setups regardless. I dont expect it to become the most famous site out there. So its not like setups will be known by the whole world. Also i got in the back of my mind, appointing a couple people as admins for the site to make their own league..

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BaRnS0
    Quote Originally Posted by cody0103 View Post
    ok. i will start to work on a site for this. Im hoping that the people who come to the site will share good setups regardless. I dont expect it to become the most famous site out there. So its not like setups will be known by the whole world. Also i got in the back of my mind, appointing a couple people as admins for the site to make their own league..
    I believe that Eutechnyx plans on doing that here also. Just letting you know. But the thought that you would or will do this, is greatly appreciated!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SparksCS24 Steam ID: SparksCS
    I will never give away any setups. The first time I gave away a setup, they gave it to someone else.

Gamer IDs

I believe that Eutechnyx plans on doing that here also. Just letting you know. But the thought that you would or will do this, is greatly appreciated!
    No problem. maybe ill still look into it for a league. Where only members can view certain setup pages

Gamer IDs

Ok folks. Ive created the site. But not only is it geared towards setup learning and sharing. But towards a new league which im leaving for others to design and create themselves. I just put it together and want those who are good at cordinating things to put it together and run it completely. Im not asking them to do it for me concidering im making who ever decides to take the lead a moderator. (but i will take part in the league if they allow me to )

Anyways check it out. signup. or dont signup http://racingsetups.webs.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12