Eutechnyx Forums - Powered by vBulletin
NTG Forums

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: fisha695 PSN ID: fisha695 XFIRE ID: fisha695 Steam ID: fisha695

Thumbs down Daytona to add crappy non-banked short-track for 2013 for "All-Star Showdown"

DAYTONA BEACH -- There will be no gap in the 2013 Speedweeks stock-car schedule.

Beginning next year, Daytona International Speedway's "dark days," or the Monday and Tuesday before the Daytona 500, will be filled with a mega national event on a short track carved from the backstretch area fronting the Lund Grandstands.

"When I think about adding a short track event here, it's just an opportunity to connect with that local racer supporting NASCAR," Speedway president Joie Chitwood III said.

"Thinking about them, getting the chance to run at the World Center of Racing, it felt like the right thing to do. Whether it's a hobby or profession, everybody should have the chance to race at Daytona."

The lineup includes drivers from NASCAR's K&N Pro Series East and West; Whelen Modified Tour North and South; and NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Division I, or weekly track.

All these series are used as stepping stones to NASCAR's more lucrative national series, such as Sprint Cup and Nationwide.

A good example is Trevor Bayne. Bayne, the 2011 Daytona 500, ran a full K&N schedule in 2008. Three years later, he won NASCAR's biggest race.

Ben Kennedy, great grandson of NASCAR founder Bill France Sr., will compete in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series this season. His K&N teammate will be Chase Elliott, Bill Elliott's son.

"It will be awesome for the sport," Kennedy said of next year's short track event. "This will be great for the sport. The K&N Series has a lot of talent."

While all the details are not known -- the official announcement is Friday -- The News-Journal has learned Daytona will create a defined, 0.4-mile, flat oval using the newly paved racetrack and skid pad surfaces.

Removable concrete barriers will be used to identify the short track course. The two-day racing program will run under the lights.

Any K&N or Whelen race winner throughout the 2012 season will get an automatic ticket to Daytona's event. NASCAR's top 10 weekly track drivers (the Whelan All-American Series) will also get a Daytona invitation.

In addition NASCAR champions from Canada, Mexico and Europe will receive invites to this inaugural short track competition.

George Silbermann, NASCAR vice president of regional and touring series, said bringing the short-trackers to Daytona will fill two voids.

"From a racing perspective, this is featuring the future stars of the sport at Daytona," Silbermann said. "From a community standpoint, it's reconnecting Speedweeks; it removes Daytona's dark days."

New Smyrna Speedway, which holds the World Series of Asphalt Stock Car Racing during Speedweeks, cheered the decision, even though on those two days of racing, it would be going head-to-head with Daytona's competition.

"We will obviously see more Modifieds down here," NSS general manager Terry Roberts said. "That certainly can help us.

"It's going to be what it is and we'll have to see how we can make it work to our advantage. We'll make it work."

I'm all for new Short-Tracks, I'm all for Big-Tracks adding Short-Tracks, but this just putting k-rails up on the skid-pad and calling it a short-track is stupid. It's going to have 0-banking which means in anything other then legends cars & karts the racing is going to be a train of suck.
    0-34 <-> Hey look I finally updated it.

24 Heures du Mans 2013 Race Thread (Click)

Vancouver, not British Columbia; Washington, not Washington DC. That's Vancouver, Washington
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: tmatt65
    So is this going to be similar to what they had in Irwindale? But no banking will make for bad racing. Just look at the old Homestead (although I think it had 6 degrees).

MATT KENSETH #20: '09, '12 Daytona 500 Champion; '03 NSCS Champion
    GREG BIFFLE #16: '00 NCWTS Champion; '02 NWS Champion
    BRAD KESELOWSKI #2: '10 NWS Champion; '12 NSCS Champion
    TREVOR BAYNE #21: '11 Daytona 500 Champion

Prawblems

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: L33T Pilot PSN ID: L33TPilot Steam ID: 1337Pilot
    Lol oh well...not that I care much but obviously not worth calling it a 'track' at all :P

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JGJrfan2488 Steam ID: CreepingDeath2488
    Sounds stupid. Someone fix up Wilkesboro and have the race there.

Prawblems

Gamer IDs

I didn't read the whole thing, but they could make some good profit by letting people race in it with Karts and stuff during the Speedweeks etc.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JRFAN88 View Post
    Sounds stupid. Someone fix up Wilkesboro and have the race there.
    Or just hold them at New Smyrna.

Though the other year Daytona rebuilt the old Dog-Track into a .25mi Dirt Flat-Track (for Motorcycle Speedweeks, and Kartweek), looking at Google Earth there is enough space outside of the backstretch to build a .25/.40mi proper paved short-track with some banking. They could even make it kind of Daytona Shaped.

That's a .35mi layout I quickly did up with the Google Earth distance measuring thing haha.

Prawblems

Gamer IDs

But this is ' D A Y T O N A ' you know... :P

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JGJrfan2488 Steam ID: CreepingDeath2488
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisha695 View Post

Though the other year Daytona rebuilt the old Dog-Track into a .25mi Dirt Flat-Track (for Motorcycle Speedweeks, and Kartweek), looking at Google Earth there is enough space outside of the backstretch to build a .25/.40mi proper paved short-track with some banking. They could even make it kind of Daytona Shaped.

That's a .35mi layout I quickly did up with the Google Earth distance measuring thing haha.
    New Smyrna would be very cool.

And I agree, that's where they should build it. Plenty of space for that and still have a lot of parking spots. At Texas Motor Speedway they have a dirt track and a small asphalt track for go-karts and Legends and stuff like that. So Daytona should build this track behind the backstretch.

...The hell? Not a single degree of banking? And the random pavement track is gonna be weird. I wonder what they're gonna put in the middle of the track besides paint. Because putting up walls that aren't retractable would be an obvious hazard. That's just a weird spot.
    Jeff Gordon fan logic

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    It's like nobody ever had baby...but once Gordon started it with Ella...we get like ten babies a year now lol.

Prawblems

Gamer IDs

I heard construction is already in progress...

Lol

lol but really what are they gonna do. The transition from grass to pavement can't be too bad either or else that can be another hazard or just straight up cause aero damage to a car that hits the transition.
    Jeff Gordon fan logic

It's like nobody ever had baby...but once Gordon started it with Ella...we get like ten babies a year now lol.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BurtKusch
    one word: desprate
    Kurt Busch --- Parker Kligerman --- Carl Edwards
    VRMotorsports ----- Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    For a company that made Ride to Hell: Retribution, I'm not surprised what they're putting out here.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    ...The hell? Not a single degree of banking? And the random pavement track is gonna be weird. I wonder what they're gonna put in the middle of the track besides paint. Because putting up walls that aren't retractable would be an obvious hazard. That's just a weird spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    lol but really what are they gonna do. The transition from grass to pavement can't be too bad either or else that can be another hazard or just straight up cause aero damage to a car that hits the transition.
    Man up and read the article before you continue to make your IQ look lower & lower..... l0l

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FordRacing9921
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisha695 View Post
    Man up and read the article before you continue to make your IQ look lower & lower..... l0l
    Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read the article...yeah...my bad lol.
    Jeff Gordon fan logic

I heard construction is already in progress...

Lol
    The Flat-ona 200!
    Dodge//

Gamer IDs

Official announcement.
    ‘World Center of Racing’ To Host UNOH Battle At The Beach During Speedweeks 2013

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Feb. 17, 2012) — The bright lights of the “World Center of Racing” will shine on the stars of NASCAR’s regional and touring series, as NASCAR announced today Daytona International Speedway will host the inaugural “UNOH Battle At The Beach” on Feb. 18-19, 2013.

The two-days of racing will be headlined by three non-points special events: the NASCAR K&N Pro Series, NASCAR Whelen Modified tours, and the Late Model division of the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series.

A temporary oval will be set up on Daytona’s Superstretch to host the races, It is tentatively slated to be approximately .4-mile.

“This is all about the stars of tomorrow vying for glory at Daytona International Speedway,” said George Silbermann, NASCAR vice president of regional and touring series. “During two days and nights of intense competition, fans will be able to see today’s aces of short track racing and some great young talent.”

Both nights of race action will air live on SPEED.

The process for setting the field for the 2013 UNOH Battle At The Beach will be:
    · Winners of the 2012 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East and West events as well as the series champions will automatically be locked into that series’ race at Daytona next year.
    · Similarly, winners of the 2012 NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour or NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour races and series champions will be locked into the Modified race next February at Daytona.
    · The top 10 finishers in the 2012 NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Division I national standings will earn a starting spot in the 2013 Late Model race.
    · In addition, the champions of the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series, NASCAR Toyota Series from Mexico, and Euro Racecar NASCAR Touring Series in 2012 will earn a protected starting spot in whichever one of the three 2013 Daytona races they choose to run.
    · The remaining spots in the 2013 Daytona features will be filled through time trials and heat races during the two days of racing next February.

”Grassroots short track racing is the foundation of this great sport and we are thrilled to give these young drivers the opportunity to fight for a win at the ‘World Center of Racing,” said Daytona International Speedway President Joie Chitwood. “Many of NASCAR’s greatest stars cut their teeth on short tracks around the country and we look forward to hosting the stars of tomorrow in 2013.”

Chitwood also announced that Daytona has reached an agreement with a number of area hotels to secure special room rates for those nights next February to make it more affordable for racers and fans to attend the Battle At The Beach.

Event entitlement sponsor, the University of Northwestern Ohio, has been heavily involved with NASCAR’s grassroots racing programs. The school, which offers a degree in High Performance Motorsports, owns NASCAR-sanctioned Limaland Motorsports Park and is the sponsor of several NASCAR touring races.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jimi417 PSN ID: JimyJimm
    shame they couldn't have incorporated the chicane somehow, instead of just another boring paperclip

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WillyTwoScoops
    The only reason I'm going to guess they use 1/4 mile non banked track is cause one track on that K&N east, Modified schedule is Bowman Gray. It is exactly the same type of track, and boring racing because there really is no way to pass without bumping or wrecking.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    The only reason I'm going to guess they use 1/4 mile non banked track is cause one track on that K&N east, Modified schedule is Bowman Gray. It is exactly the same type of track, and boring racing because there really is no way to pass without bumping or wrecking.
    4/10 (.4) not 1/4 (.25)

It's basically going to be Bowman Gray with longer straights (or Martinsville with shorter straights) and really really tight turns. And really boring train racing.

From the inside wall to the outside wall in that location Daytona is 240ft wide.
    Bowman Gray is from front to back wall is 275ft wide.
    Martinsville wall to wall is about 410ft wide.
    Pocono Front Stretch from outside wall to inside pit wall is 174ft wide.