Eutechnyx Forums - Powered by vBulletin
NTG Forums
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Ice

How to set your NAT to Open/Type 1 - Xbox 360/PS3

• This guide May or May Not resolve some of the online issues that have been reported by the community, whilst playing NTG 2011, and is meant only as a possible solution. If this solution does improve your online experience please report your findings here.
    We're receiving reports from members of the community saying that the reason that some players are experiencing more online issues than others, whilst playing NASCAR The Game 2011, is because the players that are experiencing more issues don't have the NAT (Network Address Translation) on their console set to Open (Xbox 360) or Type 1 (Playstation 3)
    • From now on when describing NAT types the following standard will be used 360/PS3 i.e. Open/Type 1
    Indications of a Strict/Type 3 or Moderate/Type 2 NAT are, while playing online games you are unable to join certain lobbies/friends or the in-game voice comms don't work correctly. Having a Strict/Type 3 or Moderate/Type 2 NAT can also cause others issues while playing online games, similar to those being reported by the NTG 2011 community.

There are 3 methods to opening the NAT on your console:
    1. If your router supports Pre-Configured online gaming port settings (many newer routers support this feature) you can select the Xbox Live/Playstation Network Pre-Configured setting and assign it to your console. (consult router manual for guidance)
    2. If your router supports DMZ (consult router manual for details) you have the option to place your consoles IP address in the DMZ. What this does is opens all network ports to your console's IP which should then in turn set your NAT to Open/Type 1

For this method to work you will need to have your console assigned the same internal network IP address (Static IP) which can be done either in the routers control panel or from within the console itself (Manually Enter IP). You can find guides on how to setup a Static IP for Xbox 360 and PS3 below.

Disclaimer: DO NOT PUT YOUR PC OR MAC'S IP ADDRESS IN THE DMZ UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
    3. You can manually open the ports required for online gaming on Xbox 360/Playstation 3 (consult router manual for guidance or the guides below). As with method 2 you will need to assign your console an internal network static IP address. You can find guides on how to setup a Static IP for Xbox 360 and PS3 below.
    Network ports used by Xbox LIVE
    • Port 88 (UDP)
    • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    • Port 80 (TCP)
    Network ports used by Playstation Network
    • Port 3478 (UDP)
    • Port 3479 (UDP)
    • Port 3658 (UDP)
    • Port 10070 (UDP)
    • Port 50000 (UDP)
    • Port Range 6000 - 7000 (UDP)
    • Port 80 (TCP)
    • Port 443 (TCP)
    • Port 5223 (TCP)
    • Port Range 10070 - 10080 (TCP)

You can find information and guides on how to setup a Static IP and set your NAT to Open/Type 1 in the links below:

To discover the IP address and Subnet Mask of your Router (Default Gateway).
    1. Click the Windows button and in the the search box type 'cmd' and press 'Enter' this will bring up the DOS window.
    2. Type 'ipconfig' and press 'Enter'.
    You are looking for the section that has details similar to those below.

Subnet Mask .............: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway ........: 192.168.0.1 (example)

The number you get returned for Default Gateway is the IP Address of your Router.

When setting a Static IP for your console it's best to choose a number a few up or down from the Default Gateway i.e. if your Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 give the console the Static IP address 192.168.0.10. If it's 192.168.0.255 choose 192.168.0.245

For the last number in the IP address you can choose any number between 1 - 255. But if your Router (Default Gateway) is using 1 or 255 don't choose those numbers choose a number around 10 away from that number, as in the example above.

Make sure that you don't give your console the same IP as your Router (Default Gateway) or it won't work.
    Last edited by Ice; 12-01-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added Details on How To Discover Router (Default Gateway) IP Address

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: justind0301
    once i'm off a college campus i'll be able to use my open router at home.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dark Redslayer
    So people ARE paying attention

Ice
    Yeah and it took me ages to write that up, particularly when I was 95% complete and I hit the close tab button on my browser while switching tabs and lost the whole lot and had to start again. I was

I don't know why I didn't think of it before, to be honest.

There's no guarantee it will work 100% but it might make things better, then again it might not.

But I'm confident it'll improve things as it has with many online issues with other games.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Well with the group I've been playing with this has solved all of our issues. We found that ANY time you can't see someone who is in the room, The rooms glitch and crazy mess happens (like .01 second laps/ Getting lapped when no one passes you, crashing before the start etc.) And when we cleared up our NAT problems it went away.

We still have issues when others join that have their NAT strict or moderate. The thing is, this is only gonna help if you don't play with people who leave it on strict lol.

BTW, lol I HATE when I do that, and Google chrome gives NO warning and just closes it. :|

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SterlingMarlin
    Ok I opened up my router, took all the screws off and removed the plastic casing. I see the wires and such, now how do I open the NAT???

Kasey Kahne Farmers Insurance Quaker State
    Sterling Marlin
    Kodak Coors Light Target Wii Fit Miccosukee
    Back 2 Back Daytona 500 Champion 1994, 1995. 1983 NASCAR Rookie of the Year.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by marlinrulez View Post
    Ok I opened up my router, took all the screws off and removed the plastic casing. I see the wires and such, now how do I open the NAT???
    O.O! lol! Put it back together and follow one of the links in the OP that matches your needs lol

Ice
    Now put it in a paper bag and throw it in the trash, it's screwed now. lol

Disclaimer: marlinrulez is mad don't listen to him or I'll be giving you a paper bag as well

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    Now put it in a paper bag and throw it in the trash, it's screwed now. lol

Disclaimer: marlinrulez is mad don't listen to him or I'll be giving you a paper bag as well
    Now people are going to do this, and start making threads like "NTG Devs made me break my router!" "The Devs are con artist they made me break my router!" "ICE Your sticky made me break my router, whos going to pay for that?"

Gamer IDs

WARNING!!! DO NOT TEAR APART YOUR ROUTER. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS OR ASK FOR HELP!!!

ROFL!! No Paper Bag Needed. My Router is fine, I just mis-read one of the instructions on a 2nd party site. LMAO!! Phew. Still don't know how to tinker with the NAT but I'm HOPEFUL that I will figure it out and not destroy my Router. LOL

I find this one helpful

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm

but I am not sure how to do this...

Enter the the ip address you want to use for your Xbox 360 into this page. It's important to choose an ip address that not in your router's dhcp range. You can check this by login in to your router and looking at it's dhcp or LAN page. Alternatively you can just pick an ip address that is not close to the ip address your xbox was previously using. For instance if your xbox was using something like 192.168.0.2, then you would want the IP ADDRESS to be something like 192.168.0.200. If your xbox was using something like 192.168.0.240, then you would want the new ip address to be something like 192.168.0.2. Only the last group of numbers on the ip address should change, and that group of numbers would range from 2 to 254. Please, don't over think this just pick a number and go with it. I have just tried to provide some guidelines here so you can pick a better number. Once you are done entering the ip address press the A button
    Last edited by marlinrulez; 13-04-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Sterling Marlin

Ice
    To discover the IP address and Subnet Mask of your Router (Default Gateway).

1. Click the Windows button and in the the search box type 'cmd' and press 'Enter' this will bring up the DOS window.

2. Type 'ipconfig' and press 'Enter'.

You are looking for the section that has details similar to those below.

Subnet Mask .............: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway ........: 192.168.0.1 (example)

The number you get returned for Default Gateway is the IP Address of your Router.

When setting a Static IP for your console it's best to choose a number a few up or down from the Default Gateway i.e. if your Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 give the console the Static IP address 192.168.0.10. If it's 192.168.0.255 choose 192.168.0.245

For the last number in the IP address you can choose any number between 1 - 255. But if your Router (Default Gateway) is using 1 or 255 don't choose those numbers choose a number around 10 away from that number, as in the example above.

Make sure that you don't give your console the same IP as your Router (Default Gateway) or it won't work.

I've also added this guide to the main guide at the top of this thread.
    Last edited by Ice; 13-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Gamer IDs

Thanks Alot Neil. And this is suppose to possibly help any Lag issues?? Is that correct? I will follow your tutorial later on in the evening when I am not so busy. It is pretty strait forward and easy for me.

Sterling Marlin

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BaRnS0
    We should have a feature in NTG 2012 for seeing our NAT's. It is very helpful to me. My router is usually open unless we have a bad storm. Now in COD black ops when I would see it not be open, I would power down my xbox and router, wait a minute or two and power the router back up. When everything was back on, My NAT would be open until the next big storm with a power outage!

It is a great feature, and easier than checking your NAT through the Xbox live "test connection" that takes forever.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Thanks Alot Neil. And this is suppose to possibly help any Lag issues?? Is that correct? I will follow your tutorial later on in the evening when I am not so busy. It is pretty strait forward and easy for me.
    It reduces the chance of laggy glitchy rooms. People with strict NAT often can't see one another, and thats what causes the rooms to glitch up bad.

Ice
    There'll also be a feature in patch #2 that will help with NAT issues

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SiIentSanta PSN ID: SpartyAJU Steam ID: SpartyAJU
    Finally figured out how to do this last summer. Really helps finding games in COD and stuff like that.

Fan
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rowdyb18
    I had called activision the other day and they gave me the same advice. I went through all the steps and got it setup, but I still experienced several problems after doing it. I would imagine though that some of these problems are related to not everyone having their ports forwarded, nat type open etc.

Spotter
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zenrad
    I can't ever seem mine to get open, i've done all these steps multiple times, as well as enabling/disabling UPnP...cant figure it out, but appreciate the guide

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ShredMojo
    Same here Zenrad, I couldnt ever join Lobbys on Black Ops, and followed all kinds of instructions online, always end up crashing the internet on the computer and Xbox and having to reset the router

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NDAK SIOUXF4N
    This is great to help people, I think it causes most problems. (Like Redslayer said) Him and me have a group of people we play with, most from our league, and we have delayed our league because of peoples NAT types including mine but I fixed mine. Anyways most of us have them fixed and if not, I'll send them here, because I really want our league to start!!!!!

Twitter: @NTRL_Racing
    Youtube: NTRLRacing
    Gamertag: NDAK SIOUXF4N

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: steevlapeer PSN ID: LuckyDog_Rcn24
    Haha, anyone want instructions on changing IP addresses in under 5 minutes? Message me, its actually easy! Lol

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bballshawn24 PSN ID: shawn-wallace_
    yup i have nat 2, i dont think 2k likes nat 2's tho

Follow my show Nascar The Game 2011 On Ustream

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ShredMojo
    so my comp and Xbox have a static ip now, and I I still have a strict Nat, now what?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jbirdwallace
    I CANT WAIT FOR PATCH#2! LOL (i always check my nat type on mw2)

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BaRnS0
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredMojo View Post
    so my comp and Xbox have a static ip now, and I I still have a strict Nat, now what?
    Here's what I did.

1. Call Xbox live for porting.
    2. Call Internet company support line and have the ports configured = $30.00 (I would of done this myself, but the router was different than any I did this to previously)
    3. My connection went from moderate to OPEN!!

I only have a 1 meg DSL. (I'm sending out 2meg but I pay for 1meg) If I have lag in a room, so does the person with a 5 meg or higher internet. Internet speed is one issue, but if the porting is not right for xbox live, then you will have problems in all games online.

Best of luck to all with their NAT.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast