Eutechnyx Forums - Powered by vBulletin
NTG Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Wheeltax

Wheeltaxs NTG11 Paint Booth Tips n Tricks

I’ve been seeing a lot of complaints and “I wish I could”s about the paintbooth from those who have, understandably, not been able to learn all the things that this great tool is capable of! So I’ve got a few tips, and maybe others can add to it.

Any controls listed here are in the context of the PS3, so may require a bit of looking for you 360 owners to figure out how to get them newfangled Microsoft controllers to work the same way.

Who died and made you master of the paintbooth, and what’s a Wheeltax anyway?

Well, nobody did, and I certainly haven’t mastered it – just trying to help some people out. The name is a short and uninteresting story. Don’t worry, it’s not my real name.

First:

What are some general guidelines for a nice, realistic-looking car?

All things are up to your imagination, of course, but if you’re like me, you like painting a car that looks like it could be seen on a track on Sunday.

In general, the following guidelines apply:

• The numbers on the doors, if using double-digits, should stretch for about the width of the window above it, or slightly narrower. Single digits should be about 60-80% of that width, depending upon the number, font, and skew.
    • Don’t forget the small numbers on the passenger side headlight and tail light! These numbers are rarely located on the bumper, hood, rear TV panel, or really anywhere outside of right on top of the light decal itself.
    • The roof number should face the infield, with the bottom of the number located on the driver’s side of the car. This number should fill most, but not all, of the roof, leaving a bit of room for the underlying paint to show around it, and it should not reach the camera pod in front.
    • There are no decals or designs to speak of on the spoiler and front splitter.
    • NASCAR guidelines dictate that there are no sponsor decals below the car manufacturer decals. This includes both the decals on the front bumper and hood, and the decal on the rear bumper. If there is a design on the bumpers, the manufacturer logo should have an outline to let it stand out; in the case of the empty Chevrolet bowtie logo, there should just be a solid color inside of the logo instead of any sort of design that it may be on top of.
    • If you want to get really picky, sponsors should not conflict with one another. This means that your Icehouse / Natural Light car (gross) wouldn’t fly in the real world. In general, if you have one beverage sponsor, you wouldn’t have any others. Same with fast food, grocery stores, sportswear, etc.
    • Sponsor logo readability is priority #1! Your sponsor logo should almost always have some sort of outline or border around it to distinguish it from the underlying paint scheme. About the only exception to this rule is when your car under the decal is 1 solid color, and the sponsor is a contrasting solid color (see: Regan Smith’s car, white on black).
    • The TV panel (that’s the area between the spoiler and the rear bumper) decals are usually pretty small – they generally do not dip down onto the bumper itself, and never reach down to the car manufacturer logo.
    • The driver name above the doors should not stretch past the top of the window. Sometimes drivers will place their state and/or nationality flags at the beginning of the name printed there, but that is up to you! Sometimes this can also just be a nickname (Smoke, The Onion).

So, about that paint booth.

Yeah, about that!

How come it’s so hard to match colors?

This is one of those nifty things that the paint booth will do for you, if you know where to look! When you’re EDITING a layer, just hit R3 to pull up the color menu, then SQUARE to change palettes to see all the colors you’ve already used. Insta-match!

How do I put my numbers on the car? I set it in the Icon layer, but nothing shows up!

You have to manually place your numbers using the TEXT tool. The best way to place a number is to start a new layer, then CREATE A DECAL. Create your decal one number at a time if you’re using a double-digit number. You do this for two reasons: One, you can control how close together those numbers are, as the default fonts tend to space them too widely. Two, it is easier to get an outline around those numbers.

Outline? How do I do that?

There are a few different ways to do it. This applies for both numbers and lettering, and really anything else. Here’s my method: I place a number, let’s say…5. I set my font and my color, and stick it on the left half of the decal creator space. You want to make the number large, but not so large that you can’t get a good outline around it. Now COPY that layer, and move it below the existing layer. Change the color and resize it to be slightly larger than the existing 5, then move it down and to the right, to where it looks like a shadow. Sometimes a shadowed number is good enough, but often you will want a full outline. COPY the shadow layer, then move that copy to the left to shadow that side of the 5 as well. It may require a few move copy/pastes to get the full outline. Then, repeat for the second number.

Neat. So how do I make a stripe or a line? How about ovals? I want to change these shapes!

Calm down! This one is easy, too. Either on the car or in the decal editor, when you select a shape, you can change its size ratio. When you’re holding down TRIANGLE to resize it, push L3 to go from a locked ratio to an unlocked. You can then use the L stick horizontally or vertically to change the X or Y axis independently. To create a stripe or a line, select the Square decal and stretch it out!

I’m having a hard time getting my new stripe or shape or whatever to perfectly flip so I can put it on the other side of the car.

When you’re holding down SQUARE, instead of trying to rotate it, push L3 to mirror the current layer or decal.

I don’t want an exact mirror, I want a shorter version of it.

Well, make up your mind. To do this, use the method above to resize the axes independently, holding down TRIANGLE and clicking L3, to adjust either axis until the image flips over.

How do I get a gradient color effect? (thanks Bruno72 from another thread)

In the color tool, use left or right on the D-pad to select Gradient Effect, press TRIANGLE to flip between colors 1 and 2. The screen explains it all once you're there!

Anyway, that’s all I have for now. If anyone has any questions that need answers, or just more tips, I’ll update this post with them. Hopefully this will quell a few complaints and get some more great looking cars created.
    Last edited by Wheeltax; 09-04-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Fan
    Willoughby Condominiums, North Carolina, United States
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: matteoandian
    Thanks bud going to give some of these a try!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jbirdwallace
    its not as easy on xbox!

Fan
    dude, i quit trying to make my car because i couldnt get the stupid thing go mirror!!! your amazing, thanks for the time to help us out
    "this is nascar, and this is cool"... (first win at tally) Brad K.

Gamer IDs

Glad I could help! Just remember to post your finished car!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabreez View Post
    dude, i quit trying to make my car because i couldnt get the stupid thing go mirror!!! your amazing, thanks for the time to help us out
    Do not use the flip tool in the game... Although holding the square button and clicking the left stick in *does* flip your item... it will not stay flipped in the rendered car. some people confuse this with "random" glitches in the decal creation. It is not random and it is an easily repeatable bug.

To flip your item without using the "flip tool", you can manually flip any shape or graphic. simply press and hold the triangle, click the left stick once to "unlock ratio" then move either the X axis OR the Y axis into a negative number and the part is now "flipped" or mirror imaged.

Doing it the manual way will ensure that your finished decal does not have "random glitches" as they say.

Instead... to "flip" your item, simply press and hold the triangle

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: dethtrap
    thank you again for the tip Always. i was having the same problem, i had to redo alot of my decals

Finally, i'm sick of all the posts with people complaining that the paint booth is broken when in reality they don't know how to use it.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Brew City Beast PSN ID: OG-Brew
    Its far from broken but definitely could be easier to use. The ability to select and move multiple layers would go a long way.
    As well as a way to copy the entire base from the left side to the right side.

The lack of those two things makes the paint booth far more time consuming than it should be.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SilentPsych2012
    it took me 3 hours just to get Dale Sr's base paintscheme right on my Xbox 360, no decals whatsoever. Seems easy right? not for me.

Dale Jr: "He just spun right out. Craziest thing I ever saw."
    -Richmond Flall 2013
    Follow me on Twitter @SilentPsych

Gamer IDs

I would like to be able to merge layers in future iterations of the paintbooth, for sure. I would also like to be able to edit the paint scheme as a flat as well as 3D on the car, because sometimes the camera angle can really skew your perspective on decal placement.

For the most part, though, I like the paintshop a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNascarFan2011 View Post
    it took me 3 hours just to get Dale Sr's base paintscheme right on my Xbox 360, no decals whatsoever. Seems easy right? not for me.
    What do you mean by his base paintscheme? like the black base coat?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: PS3
    Can someone tell me how to make "Coors Lite" In create-a-decal,would like to make a Coors lite car..Thanks

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TlathamXmahtalT
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    Can someone tell me how to make "Coors Lite" In create-a-decal,would like to make a Coors lite car..Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_it_yourself

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bballshawn24 PSN ID: shawn-wallace_
    i think Always should have a set of tips and merge them with wheel taxes

Follow my show Nascar The Game 2011 On Ustream

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: NASCARfan247
    I have a problem. When I hit the square button the hit L3 for the flip tool nothing happens and nothing happens when I hit L3 to do it manually but my L3 button does work HELP

Thanks for the tips!
    Last edited by teck; 06-08-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: JohnElightening Steam ID: indyboy12
    Quote Originally Posted by TlathamXmahtalT View Post
    You and your driver go hand-in-hand.
    I will not change this signature until
    Tennessee Volunteers win a National Championship.
    Ford wins a Sprint Cup Championship.
    Tennessee Titans win a Super Bowl. October 29th, 2013.
    Here is my Twitter.

Fan
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: iiLegend2Z
    Dude it took my 7 hours to make the whole car of Dale Sr and I wanted everything to be perfect on it. But the DLC came out so I lost the car

Paint Booth Hall of Fame NASCAR24 463's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NASCAR24 463
    Quote Originally Posted by iiLegend2Z View Post
    Dude it took my 7 hours to make the whole car of Dale Sr and I wanted everything to be perfect on it. But the DLC came out so I lost the car
    What do you mean? The paint scheme can transfer to the 2011 car.

Check out my NASCAR The Game 2011 paint schemes by clicking -->HERE<--
    Check out my NASCAR The Game Inside Line paint schemes by clicking -->HERE<--
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100002490354489
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/NASCAR24_463

coming off turn 4, heading for the checkered flag
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Wheelman-5
    Mr. tax-

What about transferring PNG file types to be used as a custom decal in the paintshop? I want to use my company's logo on the car.

Wheelman
    NASCAR '09 online champion
    "Find the host...then drive smarter than him."

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FULKROD_RCN_53
    Quote Originally Posted by Whee1man5 View Post
    Mr. tax-

What about transferring PNG file types to be used as a custom decal in the paintshop? I want to use my company's logo on the car.
    i already posted on your thread that you made, you cant upload anything on the game, any logo that isnt in the game you have to make yourself.

Fan
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: zerowing01
    Mirror the image? I didnt know. This is gonna cut my booth time in half now. You FFFF-ing rock Wheeltax

Fan
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: NASCAR_Freak11
    how do you get diffrent colors on your car?

like on NASCAR 24 463 signature.
    Last edited by Vader0309; 09-05-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: bigtruckbuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglepelt View Post
    like on NASCAR 24 463 signature.
    he made a design. Like you can put squares all the way around your car and you wil have a line
    I'm Back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast